![]() |
| a pic to help you stay interested in the blog |
after repeating the contagious tune for the 50th time in my head the annoyance got to me and I had to stop and do a mental retracing of why on earth I would deliberately irritate myself with such a yuppie melody. And of all the songs I could choose to recall from growing up in the 80's how on earth was that the one I decided upon.
It only took a few seconds to find my answer. I turned to find that standing just a few feet from me was a mother with her sweet whimpering toddler, who had reached their shopping quota for the day and was giving clear signals of wanting to leave. The mother was reassuring her child they were almost finished in all the usual motherly ways; ignoring the child's pleas, pushing the stroller back and forth, offering food and drink - out of a chick-fil-a cup no less, with a straw! (who wouldn't stop whining with that offer!?), and last but not least, the use of the number one parent soother, referring to her child as "buddy".
"just one more minute "buddy" and we'll go" and "hold on "buddy" and maybe we'll go get a treat"
I was relieved to find the source for my musical number before a dance routine ensued, but sadly my irritation wasn't displaced. Instead I found my self becoming a bit more bothered. First and foremost I must admit that I'm a mother still in training wheels and have yet to fully comprehend what that title of parenthood entails or instills upon you once you become one. But, I must question why the entitlement of parenthood makes mothers and fathers refer to their kiddo's, daughters especially, as "buddy".
I know of the painstaking, meticulous, and soul searching process some parents put into name picking and once that perfect name has been chosen for such a perfect child why would one downplay all their hard work with the pathetic patient plea and refer to their child as "buddy"? Was the nine months of genealogy research not worth it? Was the holding out and not sharing your name with your in laws because you knew they would talk you out of it just a stressful game you wanted to play? Were the bribes, bets and promises you made to your spouse to get the name or your choosing just a challenge to see who wore the pants in your marriage?
![]() |
| george's nicknames: georgie, georgous, and turkey! |
perhaps I'm making a premature strike on the powers "buddy" possess for it seems parents utilize it best in times of peril. is "buddy" the symbolic white flag between parent and child indicating strongholds are waning, supplies are wearing thin, and the parent is in clear desperation of needing a time out, a free zone or a off limits base hoping that the utterance of "buddy" will send in back up! if so I clearly haven't entered the war field yet. but when i'm called up I hope my will power can hold me back from referring to my child as "buddy"!
but if not, I'll give it full do's and sing it out in sweet 80's fashion!



1 comment:
I love it Erin! I have to say that most of my kids are referred to as "bud, buddy, or hey you"
Post a Comment